The House That Youth Built
“…I find it inspiring to think that a house designed and built by young people will in turn help to save and change the lives of other young people…”
– Nicola Stokes, CEO of Sydney Children’s Hospitals Foundation
Provident Project Management have organised a building project as a way to engage with the youth in the construction industry and encourage opportunities where they can gain valuable experience whilst helping to raise money for a good cause.
Provident Project Management are working with staff and students from TAFE NSW and Western Sydney University. Also, Provident Project Management are partnering with PBS Building, the Sydney Children’s Hospitals Foundation, various design consultants and Exhibitions & Events Australia, who are the organisers of the Home Show.
The Design Brief
The two bedroom house will have a generous kitchen, combined bathroom / laundry area and a spacious veranda along the entrance. This house will be ideal for someone looking for a granny flat or a holiday home on a rural property or beachfront.
The structure will utilise timber wall framing, timber roof framing, roof sheeting and structural steel substructure for ease of transportation.
*For more information about the house, please contact Adrian Tsavalas with McGrath Estate Agents at [email protected] or 0451 631 875.
Official property listing: thehousethatyouthbuilt.com.au
Key features of the house
- Overview of the architectural design and interiors selection by a reputable architectural firm known for designing environmentally sustainable homes.
- Spacious living room and bedrooms with minimum 2.4m high ceilings.
- Metal powder coated sliding door and windows.
- Supply of an Electric Hot Water Unit.
- Modern kitchen with dishwasher, electric stove, electric oven and rangehood.
- Combined washing machine and dryer.
- Modern bathroom fixtures and accessories.
- A voucher for the supply and installation of split AC provided to the future owner.
- Supply and installation of wardrobes.
- Designed and modelled for BASIX commitments, with some items to be installed by the future owner for compliance (if required).
- Transport pre-arranged to the property of the future owner (within NSW only).
- House designed for building code compliance in NSW.
Students at Western Sydney University were commissioned to draft the concept architectural drawings for TAFE NSW. Then students from TAFE NSW developed further the architectural drawings suitable for construction, with input provided by Provident Project Management, PBS Building and design consultants. Throughout this course, the students were mentored by their lecturers and teachers
PBS Building, students from TAFE NSW and specialist subcontractors built the house off-site at a yard in early 2020. Under guidance and mentoring of their teachers, the students from TAFE NSW will work together with PBS Building , design consultants and the specialist subcontractors to build the house for transportation and display at the Home Show.
The TAFE NSW students will be assisting PBS Building with the following:
Sydney Children’s Hospitals Foundation
At 3pm on Sunday, the final day of the HIA Home Show, Chief Auctioneer of McGrath Estate Agents; Scott Kennedy Green, also recognised as one of Australia’s finest auctioneers, and auctioneer on the hit television series The Block, will kick off the live auction.
The house will be sold through a traditional auction process. The proceeds raised through the sale will go to purchase vital signs monitors for the Sydney Children’s Hospitals Foundation.
The Sydney Children’s Hospitals Foundation provides funding for both The Children’s Hospital at Westmead and Sydney Children’s Hospital Randwick. The Foundation funds the vital clinical care that children across the network need now, so they have the best possible treatment and hospital experience and also invest in research that will change and save more lives in the future.
With special thanks to our donors, making this project possible:
Don't miss anything in the countdown to the Sydney Home Show in 2021. Sign up to our Home Show Club to get updates delivered to your inbox.