Reclaim Your Sleep, Reclaim Your Amazing
On average, we spend one third of our lifetime in bed, so it is important to ensure we are achieving a healthy night’s sleep of rest and recovery every evening. The correct amount of sleep can aid digestion, recovery, mindfulness and healing; all of these are cornerstones of health and wellbeing.
See some tips below to aid your blissful journey to sleep!
- Bedroom Retreat. Your bedroom should be a sanctuary; a place of rest, recovery and relaxation. According to the National Sleep Foundation, darkness is an important cue which tells the body to rest, so ensure your room is dark and cool (warm temperatures can cause restlessness.
- Power Off. Checking your phone before bed is a temptation that we all give into, but devices are better kept out of the room completely. The artificial light in your laptop/phone/tablet can reduce melatonin levels and keep you awake.
- Limited Naps. Take naps only when completely necessary, before mid-afternoon, and for no longer than one hour.
- Wind down. Develop a sleep routine an hour before bed so that your body is ready for sleep at the same time each evening. This could include having a warm shower, making yourself a hot cup of tea or reading a book.
- Alarm Consistency. Being consistent will reinforce your body’s sleep-wake cycle, so set your alarm for the same time every morning. It is easier to wake up if your body is trained to do so.
- Stress Less. If you can’t sleep, don’t worry. Simply lying in bed and relaxing is beneficial to your mental and physical health and is still considered “rest”. Dale Carnegie said “it’s the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep.” So stress less!
- Walk on Sunshine! Getting a healthy dose of sunshine first thing in the morning will reset your circadian rhythm, telling your body to be awake in the morning and asleep at night. As an additional bonus, it can increase your serotonin levels, boosting your mood and helping you start the day on a positive note!
Embrace the power of sleep & wake up feeling AMAZING every morning!