Garage Door Safety
Garage doors can be one of the most dangerous things around a property due to their size and weight, so it’s important to be aware of how to operate them safely. Garage door safety is paramount and doors should be serviced and maintained by trained personnel at regular intervals.
Children often see garage doors as a source of entertainment. Here are some safety points to consider, for both children and adults alike, to make sure there are no serious injuries.
- Keep children away from the operation of the garage door. They should not play with the door or its operation system. Kids are inquisitive by nature so they should not be allowed to access the remote control or keypad for the garage door openers.
- Make sure children do not play around the garage door, especially if it is opening or closing.
- Wall-mounted keypads for openers should be at least 5 feet from the ground.
- When opening or closing the garage door keep fingers and hands away from all parts.
- If the garage door is opening, let it complete the process before walking under it. Be particularly aware when the door is closing so no one tries to enter or exit.
- Garage doors should always be serviced by a trained technician.